Sunday 28 July 2013

Visit to Tikki and Architextures

Liberty fabric will always top my list, but I could not resist these totally modern and graphic fabrics at Tikki London.  Although this wonderful shop is only about 4 miles away from me, I had never visited before. I just had to put that right after reading this post about fabric stores in London on the Needles and Lemons blog.
The shop, in Kew (south west London) is quite small but I could not believe how much the owners have managed to get in there. Anything I could not see was produced as if by magic by the friendly staff.  After about an hour I ended up with some fat quarters, a pattern for a bag and some threads.  I will certainly be visiting Tikki again before too long.




Some of the fabrics are from the Architextures range by Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufmann.  I've seen a lot about this fabric online, but the fabrics look even better in real life.

As soon as I got this bundle home, Number One Son asked me to make a cover for his iPad mini with the Architextures fabrics.  So I cut two 6.5 inch wide strips a bit longer than twice the length of the iPad to allow for a flap.   Then I sandwiched them together with some lightweight polyester wadding (batting) which was leftover from another project.  

My original plan was to quilt it with diagonal lines in orange but in the end I decided it might look too busy. So I left it unquilted and simply sewed up the edges.   It is finished but still needs Velcro - I thought I had some somewhere but could not find it. Must get organised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and encouragement, and will reply by email unless you are a "no reply blogger". Thank you.