I've found it hard to settle to a new project after finishing the big EPP quilt. Some knitting has been done but nothing blog-worthy. Yesterday I got going on making a second liberty purse. The first one was much too floppy and the zip insertion was poor. I have been using the purse though, and decided it would be better if it hinged at the bottom. Although I like some of the patterns available, particularly Sew Sweetness's Greenbacks wallet, I still want to avoid a bound edge as I know I can't do those very well.
Here's the piece I decided to use for the outside - it's all Liberty fabrics. I used tiny scraps so did not have to buy anything.
To make the purse firmer I ironed on a bit of heavy duty Peltex. There were three pieces to line up, the gaps are there so that the purse will fold properly. I had trouble lining it up, as the Peltex would not stay flat. I pinned it to the ironing board and beat it into submission.
It seemed to stick quite well. Next I turned over the edges and sewed them on to the Peltex. When I got to the corners I gathered up the excess fabric like this:
Now it looks like a little book.
Next to tackle the innards - I want some credit card slots and a small zipped compartment for coins. I still have no idea how I'm going to insert the zip. Glue might be involved.
Linking up at Life Under Quilt's Monday Morning Star Count and at A Quilting Life's first Scraps Monday.