Sunday 15 February 2015

Alhambra Star EPP - Top finished?

I've come to a halt with this piece, which was an attempt to mimic this Moorish tile panel from Alcazar, Seville, in Spain.  Not Alhambra but I'm still calling it Alhambra Star. I used mostly leftover Oakshotts with some Kaffe Fassett shot cottons thrown in.  It is not an exact copy of course. I like the way many of these patterns have an outline which could be done in bias binding, but did not feel ready to tackle that.





You can see a a shed load of these on here - there are so many - and with EPP (English Paper Piecing) you can make any shape you like without worrying about Y seams - as long as you are not in a hurry. A little bit obsessed with these patterns. They seem to rattle around in my tiny brain until I can process them. This is a six-fold pattern based on a 60 degree equilateral triangle but there are many more complex ones.  I just might have a go at doing some more of these and perhaps join them together.  Or not.  Dithering as usual.  

The finished piece is just the right size for a Miss Ted quilt - so she is borrowing it for a while.  It might also make a cushion / pillow or a wall hanging.  I like the way the different blues show up in this photo.



At the moment there are no quilts or minis on my walls.  No room really. But I have also to admit that I have rationalised my fabric addiction guilt by telling myself that everything I make has to be useful. Otherwise I'll be knee deep in it and own a hundred cats. Anyone else share that problem?  

Hmm.  The Germans would have one word for fabric addiction guilt.  How about Stoffgiftschuld?



9 comments:

  1. I love it! It looks like Miss Ted does too. The blue and orange fabrics really work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Miss Ted, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a perfect fit for miss teddy! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Those Moorish patterns are so inspiring, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Ted looks so cosy I'm wishing I was her right now. It's very cold here. Your little quilt is beautiful and if the Germans have a word for fabric addiction I'm sure that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people love expensive wine and where does that end up once it's been drunk!!!
    Your little quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creating quilts of any size is like creating any other art. It doesn't have to 'go' or 'fit' or serve any practical purpose at all. The joy is in the creating. Larger quilts sometimes seem more practical but small ones are my favorite for lots of reasons. I've thought of hanging them seasonally, I've added a few here and there about the house but like clear open spaces too because otherwise, it seems a bit sensory overload. I do have a fairly long hallway....,maybe I should hang them there like an art gallery :) I have several small quilts hanging like wash on the line right now, clipped onto heavy twine with wooden clothespins in front of the fireplace.
    I really love your new pieced quilt top. Maybe you need a vintage doll bed that you could stack them on like the princess and the pea. Miss Ted would love that too I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those 'binding' tiles do complicate the pattern somewhat. You have made me think what would be the best way to tackle them if one were determined to put them in the design. (Probably start by having a stern talk to self to talk self out of that determination.)
    I have given up on the useful argument. My reasoning is that my sewing keeps me busy and out of mischief (such as chasing inappropriate men :)), and that is useful in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful, do you have instructions on how to make?

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and encouragement, and will reply by email unless you are a "no reply blogger". Thank you.