Friday 1 November 2013

H quilt for Harriet

I have been knitting hats and gloves this week so I thought I would record here my first ever machine made quilt from last spring. Before that I had only made one full sized quilt, and that was done by hand. I saw Kaffe Fassett's quilts at the Life In Colour exhibition in London and I noticed his S quilt.  I did not take any photos myself but there is a great post  on Quilt Candy's blog.


I had this box of Liberty fabrics - not at all like Kaffe's zingy colours but more the sort of thing I thought my daughter would like.  I added one solid in a hyacinth colour which is her favourite.






Construction was very straightforward - the H shapes were built up in 4 inch squares.  I had to be careful not to muddle up the rows so I drew the layout on graph paper. 



I intended to use a sheet for the back of the quilt, but was lucky enough to find a length of an old Liberty print called Hibiscus in a lovely dark navy.  I pieced this with a few leftovers including another favourite, Dragonista.

It was quilted along the seams using an ordinary machine foot as at that stage  I did not own a walking foot.  The quilt inspector found one or two puckers but that's life.






3 comments:

  1. Love the subtle colouring of this. Great pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors, and your quilt inspector! Mine is orange:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt design and colours. I'm sure your daughter will love it.
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments and encouragement, and will reply by email unless you are a "no reply blogger". Thank you.